Southold Dance Theater Seeks Ballet Instructor
Full or part time, South Bend, IN.
Requirements: At least 5 years of teaching experience. Professional background highly recommended. Must be able to teach different ballet levels and adapt to the school curriculum technique. Salary commensurate with experience.
Starting date: August 22nd, 2018
Please send your resume to:
Southold Dance Theater
or via e-mail:
Southold Dance Theater Seeks Executive Director
Southold Dance Theater, a non-profit ballet school, located in South Bend, IN seeks to hire an Executive Director (ED). SDT is a Premiere Classical Ballet School and Home of the Southold Dance Theater Pre-Professional Ballet. Starting in 1973, SDT has grown from an alliance with several students coming together because they shared an important, common bond — their love of dance. Today, housed in the Colfax Cultural Arts Center, a cooperative arts and neighborhood complex with national historic site status, Southold Dance Theater’s curriculum is a balanced combination of leading classical ballet curricula. Southold Dance Theater begins accepting students starting from ages three through seven for our Children’s Division. Beginning at age eight, students follow a structured sequence of training in ballet technique, pointe and variations designed to increase their technical skills, stamina and discipline in accordance with their age and physical development in the Intermediate Division. At the appropriate level of maturity and stamina, students have the opportunity to seek an intense level of study in our Pre-Professional Division. Students wishing to enter this division do so by audition or invitation. Students whose paths lead to non-dance careers still gain immeasurably from our training. They develop self-motivation, self-discipline, poise, grace, physical adroitness and an appreciation for the arts which they will carry with them throughout their lives.
The Executive Director is responsible for making decisions about administration, business issues, finances, fundraising, Board relations, donor relations, publicity, marketing and development while adhering to the artistic vision and focus of Southold Dance Theater (SDT) as well as controlling its resources and expenditures. The Executive Director works collaboratively with the Artistic Director and the Board of Directors to ensure the SDT is guided by its mission and realizes its goals for artistic excellence, community service, education, financial stability, fundraising and audience engagement. The ED reports directly to the Board of Directors, works in close association with the Artistic Director, and supervises staff and faculty. This is a full-time position with variable hours, including nights and weekends.
- Cover letter
- Resume (complete with salary history)
- Three professional references
Southold Dance Theater
Attn.: Search Committee
914 Lincoln Way West
South Bend, In 46616
Electronically to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Executive Director Duties
- Ensures financial and operational viability, sustainability and development of SDT, legal and fiscal compliance, and best practice in governance and management
- Assesses possibilities for future growth by evaluating the artistic and financial success of programs and initiatives and maintaining an overview of the development of future initiatives
- Develops on-going relationships with local schools advocating partnerships in productions and educational opportunities
- Works with the Board of Directors to solve problems as they may occur, and to develop and recommend changes or clarifications in policies and procedures as needed
- Works with the Board of Directors to develop budgets and oversee production finances
- Develops and executes a fundraising plan that includes obtaining the desired number of performance sponsors
- Assists the Board Treasurer in the preparation of monthly financial reports
- Reviews all production/theater related expenses and revenues, and provides properly documented and organized financial information to the Board of Board Treasurer
- Provides oversight of proper handling of revenues generated/collected at SDT or through related activities and programs
- Provide strong organizational leadership in partnership with the Artistic Director and Board of Directors
- Report directly to the Board of Directors
- Implement strategic and financial plans
- Maintain oversight of operations and budget
- Effectively represent SDT in successful relationships with donors, local government, corporations, foundations and the public
- Establish and implement budgets and ongoing reporting to the Board of Directors
- Oversee development and implementation of marketing campaigns and fundraisers
- Set goals for obtaining income and in-kind donations from foundations, sponsors, individual patrons and businesses
- Hire, manage, mentor and motivate a full-time and part-time administrative to achieve success in daily operations
- Engage and manage relationships with board members to ensure success and growth
- Maintain organizational calendar of events and meetings
Leadership & Management
- Ensure ongoing excellence in all programs. Continuously provide rigorous program evaluation, and consistent quality of finance and administration, fundraising, communications, and systems; recommend timelines and resources needed to achieve the strategic goals
- Actively engage and energize SDT’s volunteers, board members, event committees, alumni, partnering organizations, and benefactors
- Support the Board of Directors
- Ensure effective systems to track scaling progress, and regularly evaluate program components, so as to measure successes that can be effectively communicated to the board, funders, and other constituents
- Oversee the production and roll-out of Annual Report to the families, community and donors
Fundraising & Communications
- Expand local revenue generating and fundraising activities to support existing program operations while simultaneously maintaining relationships with current donors
- Deepen and refine all aspects of communications—from web presence to external relations with the goal of creating a stronger brand
- Use external presence and relationships to garner new opportunities
- Set annual goals for fundraising events and work with marketing team to accomplish goals
- Plan and oversee the individual donor campaign
- Develop the strategy for cultivating, securing, and sustaining corporate sponsorships
- Secure sponsorships for upcoming season
- Identify and pursue new sources of contributed income-individuals, corporations, foundations/grant
- Work with and oversee freelance grant writer, as needed
Planning & New Business
- Design expansion and complete the strategic business planning process for the school into new markets for both teaching and performing
- Begin to build partnerships in new markets, establishing relationships with the funders, and political and community leaders at each expansion site.
- Be an external presence that communicates the school’s performances and program(s) results with an emphasis on the successes of SDT
The Executive Director, together with the Artistic Director will:
- Provide for the responsible, continuous operation, growth and improvement of the School.
- Design, implement, and assist in the development and management of the community outreach and education program
- Produce Southold performances within the budget approved by the Board.
- Forge partnerships with other arts organizations.
- Create and implement a public relations and marketing strategy and social media plan
- Assist in obtaining funding for all programs and productions
- Assist SDT in meeting its goals as set forth by the Board
The ED will be thoroughly committed to SDTs mission. All candidates should have proven leadership, business, development and relationship management experience.
Concrete demonstrable experience and other qualifications include:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Track record of effectively leading
- Background in the non-profit arts community, ideally in the performing arts
- Unwavering commitment to quality programs and data – driven program evaluation.
- Excellence in organizational management with the ability to coach staff, manage, and develop high-performance teams, set and achieve strategic objectives, and manage a budget
- Past success working with a Board of Directors with the ability to cultivate existing board member relationships
- Strong marketing, public relations, and fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative approach to business planning
- Ability to work effectively with diverse groups of people
- Passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed
The successful candidate will have a proven track record in management and fundraising with respect to a not-for-profit dance theater. This job description is a guide to the nature of the work required of this position. It is neither wholly comprehensive nor restrictive.
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
Anticipated Start Date: August 1, 2018